The optical module is composed of optoelectronic devices, functional circuits and optical interfaces. The optoelectronic device includes transmitting and receiving parts. Optical modules are mainly used in optical communications, data centers and other places. So, what exactly is an optical module? What is the use of optical modules? Next, let’s follow the editor of Feichang Technology to learn more about it!
Simply put, the role of the optical module is photoelectric conversion. The transmitting end converts the electrical signal into an optical signal. After transmission through the optical fiber, the receiving end converts the optical signal into an electrical signal.
In addition, optical modules are classified according to packaging and can be divided into:
1. The XFP optical module is a hot-swappable optical transceiver independent of the communication protocol. It is used for 10G bps Ethernet, SONET/SDH, and optical fiber channel.
2. SFP optical modules, small pluggable receiving and light emitting modules (SFP), are currently widely used.
3. GigacBiDi series single-fiber bidirectional optical modules use WDM technology to realize a fiber transmission of two-way information (point-to-point transmission. In particular, fiber resources are insufficient, and one fiber is required to transmit two-way signals). GigacBiDi includes SFP single fiber bidirectional (BiDi), GBIC single fiber bidirectional (BiDi), SFP+ single fiber bidirectional (BiDi), XFP single fiber bidirectional (BiDi), SFF single fiber bidirectional (BiDi) and so on.
4. Electrical port module, RJ45 electrical port small pluggable module, also known as electrical module or electrical port module.
5. SFF optical modules are divided into 2×5, 2×10, etc. according to their pins.
6. GBIC optical module, Gigabit Ethernet interface converter (GBIC) module.
7. PON optical module, passive optical network PON (A-PON, G-PON, GE-PON) optical module.
8. 40Gbs high-speed optical module.
9. SDH transmission module (OC3, OC12).
10. Storage modules, such as 4G, 8G, etc.
So, see here, what is an SFP optical module? Do you know the answer to this question? So, what is the function of SFP optical module?
SFP optical module is a hot-swappable small package module in SFP package. The current gao rate can reach 10.3G, and the interface is LC. The SFP optical module is mainly composed of a laser. In addition, the SFP optical module consists of: laser: including fa transmitter TOSA and receiver ROSA; circuit board IC; external accessories include: shell, base, PCBA, pull ring, buckle, unlocking piece, rubber plug. In addition, SFP optical modules can be classified according to speed, wavelength, and mode.
According to the speed, there are 155M/622M/1.25G/2.125G/4.25G/8G/10G, 155M and 1.25G are used more in the market. The 10G technology is gradually mature, and the demand is on the rise. development of.
According to the wavelength, there are 850nm/1310nm/1550nm/1490nm/1530nm/1610nm. The wavelength is 850nm for SFP multimode, the transmission distance is below 2KM, and the wavelength is 1310/1550nm for single mode, and the transmission distance is above 2KM. Relatively speaking, this The price of the three wavelengths is cheaper than the other three.
It is easy to confuse the bare module if there is no logo. Generally, manufacturers will distinguish the color of the pull ring. For example, the black pull ring is multi-mode and the wavelength is 850nm; the blue is the module with the wavelength of 1310nm; **the wavelength is 1550nm The module; purple is a module with a wavelength of 1490nm, etc.
SFP optical module multimode
Almost all multimode optical fibers are 50/125um or 62.5/125um in size, and the bandwidth (the amount of information transmitted by the optical fiber) is usually 200MHz to 2GHz. Multi-mode optical transceivers can transmit up to 5 kilometers through multi-mode optical fibers. Use light-emitting diodes or lasers as light sources. The color of the pull ring or external body is black.
SFP optical module single mode
The size of single-mode fiber is 9-10/125?m, and compared with multi-mode fiber, it has unlimited bandwidth and lower loss characteristics. The single-mode optical transceiver is mostly used for long-distance transmission, sometimes up to 150 to 200 kilometers. Use LD or LED with narrower spectral line as the light source.
Post time: Jul-07-2021